Friday, August 22, 2008

I am Sugar and Snow

Ah, August in New York City. The pulse has slowed, crowds have thinned and there are plenty of parking spaces! Mother nature seems to be hastening the end of summer with below normal temperatures, generally clear skies and even a full moon.

Not only is summer racing by, but our little girl is growing up much too fast. Zoƫ will be entering the seventh grade. She is quickly transitioning from a child to a young lady. These past two years she has written poems about her coming of age. And her evolution has truly been remarkable to watch and share. It is amazing what parents can learn from their children.

I AM

I am a cupful of trouble and a bowl of sugar
I wonder if I will ever have a best friend
I hear my friend talking to someone I am not crazy about
I feel jealous
I see myself as a gymnast
I want more people to trust
I am a cupful of trouble and a bowl of sugar

I pretend to know more than I do
I feel like an advanced dog when I do something dumb
I touch the clouds
I worry about my death
I cry when I am really jealous
I am a cupful of trouble and a bowl of sugar

I understand that my friend can have a friend other than me
I say things I sometimes shouldn't
I dream about being perfect
I hope everyone likes me
I am a cupful of trouble and a bowl of sugar

I KEEP FALLING

Falling
All I do
I fall
Falling
Falling to where I reach my fate
Kplosh
I land hard on the surface
I know there is some sort of purpose
Even if I don't find out why
I will not just sit on the ground and cry
I have strength
Courage
Confidence and more
I know I won't fall on the floor!
About forever I have been falling
Soon I know I will end up crawling
25 more minutes to go
Till I am considered snow!

No comments: