Tuesday, September 21, 2010

2010 Football

It is no secret that I have been a Chicago Bears fan all of my life, and a Louisiana State University Bengal Tiger fan since I can remember.

I went to some Bears games at tiny Wrigley Field, even when the crossbars were placed at the back of the endzone. Of course, looming just a couple feet away was the solid brick left field wall covered with dead ivy. There Gayle Sayers, Willie Galimore, Doug Atkins and Dick Butkus toiled under the demanding leadership of Bears founder and coach George Hallas. These were the "Monsters of the Midway!"

I attended LSU Tiger games in the 60's. I lived in the Stadium dormitory when I attended the school. The team had suffered several poor seasons after winning the national championship in 1958 with the help of Bill Cannon. He was the fleet-footed running back who once bulled over eleven Ole Miss players to score a game winning touchdown, and event that is repeated every year on local radio. In the past decade, however, LSU won two BCS championships.

Here's the deal, so far this season LSU is 3-0 and the Bears 2-0. I just want you all to know that I am NOT getting my hopes up. In both cases I feel like I am standing on thin ice and the temperature is rising. In both cases I see real issues on both sides of the ball. In both cases the QB is not consistently good. In both cases I see plenty of tough competition ahead. In both cases I do not see a head coach who will make winning an imperative.

LSU will lose 5 games, Arkansas, Alabama and Florida for sure. The Bears, well, I say they lose 6 games. In both cases, pretty good years. But Les Miles may be looking for a new job.

No comments: